For those of you new to this series, you can read the first three parts here, here, and here. As promised, this installment addresses his most idiotic claims ...
56. September 11, 2001, For 50 minutes, from 8:15 AM until 9:05 AM, with it widely known within the FAA and the military that four planes have been simultaneously hijacked and taken off course, no one notifies the President of the United States. It is not until 9:30 that any Air Force planes are scrambled to intercept, but by then it is too late. This means that the National Command Authority waited for 75 minutes before scrambling aircraft, even though it was known that four simultaneous hijackings had occurred – an event that has never happened in history. [Sources: CNN, ABC, MS-NBC, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times.]
To say call this passage a misrepresentation of the facts would be wholly inaccurate. It is, to put it simply, a naked lie from start to finish. It is truly one of the most infamous lies told about the terror attacks, outdone in its outrageousness only by the French no-plane-hit-the-Pentagon invention, and perhaps Ruppert’s "White Knight". It’s amazing to the point of being distressing that he and others have been able to repeat it so often without receiving the amount of ridicule as these other two examples have elicited, considering it is such an incredibly easy target for debunkers like me.
As I’ve pointed out before, the timeline for the FAA/NORAD response to the hijacking is dead wrong. As is the myth about Payne Stewart’s plane, which Ruppert was one of the first to promote. Ruppert and others have gone even further, creating yet another myth about "combat ready" fighter planes available at Andrews Air Force Base, which should have been able to intercept a hijacked plane entering DC airspace.
Ruppert and his comrades obviously do not know what "combat ready" (as in, deployable) means, or else they would not make such an idiotic statement. The truth is that prior to the 9/11 attacks, America’s air defense doctrine focused on the frontiers, ready to intercept incoming Bears, but quite naked within domestic airspace. In fact, the U.S. had only 14 fighterson armed alert within the continental U.S., stationed on just seven bases – and Andrews was not one of them.
57. Sept. 11-12, 2001 - Nearly a month before the first reported outbreak, White House officials start taking the powerful antibiotic Cipro to treat anthrax. By the end of the year it will be known that the Ames strain of anthrax used in the attacks against Sens. Leahy and Daschle was produced by CIA programs coordinated through Fort Detrick, the Batelle Memorial Institute and the Dugway Proving Ground. [Source: NBC; CNN; www.tetrahedron.org, www.judicialwatch.org]
Despite all the wacky sources Ruppert provides for this, the assertion is only backed up by one AP story, which was later pulled from the wires, and is not even available on Lexis-Nexis (of course, that’s all part of the conspiracy, just as the ground you walk on is part of the conspiracy). I’m sure Ruppert would tut-tut that the story was never denied by the White House, which should come as no surprise, considering that they would never confirm or deny whether their employees were taking the drug.
Even if we were to assume the story accurate, it still proves nothing. Cipro is not an effective preventative prophyllaxis (which is why they call it a "post exposure" measure), so if and when any White House staff took it would have been after they believed they had possibly already been exposed to anthrax. This contention also assumes that the anthrax attacks were committed by al-Qaeda, which is quite far from being an accepted fact.
58. September 13, 2001 – China is admitted to the World Trade Organization quickly, after 15 years of unsuccessful attempts. [Source: The New York Times, Sept. 30, 2001.]
Now this is just delusional. Really, now.
59. September 14, 2001 – Canadian jailers open the sealed envelope from Mike Vreeland in Toronto and see that is describes attacks against the WTC and Pentagon. The U.S. Navy subsequently states that Vreeland was discharged as a seaman in 1986 for unsatisfactory performance and has never worked in intelligence. [Source: The Toronto Star, Oct. 23, 2001; Toronto Superior Court records]
As anyone even remotely familiar with the Vreeland case knows, the "warning letter" does not "describe" anything resembling the 9/11 attacks. It lists many potential targets, including both the WTC and Pentagon, but says nothing of the time or methods of the attacks.
But Ruppert’s claim that the records confirm that Vreeland wrote the note in early August, and gave it to jail authorities, who kept it until after the attacks occurred, are also complete nonsense:
One of the most bizarre allegations is his unsupported assertion that he had foreknowledge of the events of September 11 and tried to warn the authorities who would not listen to him. He says he wrote his warning with a blue contraband pen on August 11 or 12 and sealed his warning in an envelope which was opened by a gaol Lieutenant on September 14. He says it can be proven by forensic chemical analysis that his scribbled note was written with a blue contraband pen that was confiscated from him on August 13. He offers no such proof.
60. September 15, 2001 – The New York Times reports that Mayo Shattuck III has resigned, effective immediately, as head of the Alex (A.B) Brown unit of Deutschebank.
61. September 29, 2001 – The San Francisco Chronicle reports that $2.5 million in put options on American Airlines and United Airlines are unclaimed. This is likely the result of the suspension in trading on the NYSE after the attacks which gave the Securities and Exchange Commission time to be waiting when the owners showed up to redeem their put options.
Once again, this relies heavily on unsupported assumptions. That anyone associated with Deutschebank was involved in the alleged put option insider trading (which is itself unproven), much less one of its highest-ranking officials, defies logic. Surely, if these evil corporate executives were to try to pull this off, they wouldn’t have done it through their own bank.
62. October 10, 2001 – The Pakistani newspaper The Frontier Post reports that U.S. Ambassador Wendy Chamberlain has paid a call on the Pakistani oil minister. A previously abandoned Unocal pipeline from Turkmenistan, across Afghanistan, to the Pakistani coast, for the purpose of selling oil and gas to China, is now back on the table "in view of recent geopolitical developments."
63. October 11, 2001 – The Ashcroft Justice Department takes over all terrorist prosecutions from the U.S. Attorneys office in New York which has had a highly successful track record in prosecuting terrorist cases connected to Osama bin Laden. [Source: The New York Times, Oct. 11, 2002.]
64. Mid October, 2001 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average, after having suffered a precipitous drop has recovered most of its pre-attack losses. Although still weak, and vulnerable to negative earnings reports, a crash has been averted by a massive infusion of government spending on defense programs, subsidies for "affected" industries and planned tax cuts for corporations.
Whatever you do, Ruppert, don’t quit your day job (or what passes for it). You’re not ready to be a market analyst just yet.
65. November 21, 2001 – The British paper The Independent runs a story headlined, "Opium Farmers Rejoice at the Defeat of the Taliban." The story reports that massive opium planting is underway all over the country.
66. November 25, 2001 – The Observer runs a story headlined "Victorious Warlords Set To Open the Opium Floodgates." It states that farmers are being encouraged by warlords allied with the victorious Americans are "being encouraged to plant "as much opium as possible."
67. December 4, 2001 – Convicted drug lord and opium kingpin Ayub Afridi is recruited by the US government to help establish control in Afghanistan by unifying various Pashtun warlords. The former opium smuggler who was one of the CIA’s leading assets in the war against the Russians is released from prison in order to do this. [Source: The Asia Times Online, 12/4/01].
68. December 25, 2001 – Newly appointed afghani Prime Minister Hamid Karzai is revealed as being a former paid consultant for Unocal. [Source: Le Monde.]
69. January 3, 2002 – President Bush appoints Zalamy Khalilzad as a special envoy to Afghanistan. Khalilzad, a former employee of Unocal, also wrote op-eds in the Washington Post in 1997 supporting the Taliban regime. [Source: Pravda, 1/9/02]
70. January 4, 2002 – Florida drug trafficking explodes after 9-11. In a surge of trafficking reminiscent of the 1980s the diversion of resources away from drug enforcement has opened the floodgates for a new surge of cocaine and heroin from South America. [The Christian Science Monitor, January 4, 2002.
71. January 10, 2002 – In a call from a speaker phone in open court, attorneys for "Mike" Vreeland call the Pentagon’s switchboard operator who confirms that Vreeland is indeed a Naval Lieutenant on active duty. She provides an office number and a direct dial phone extension to his office in the Pentagon. [Source: Attorney Rocco Galati; court records Toronto Superior Court.]
This makes perfect sense. A Naval Intelligence spy would certainly have a publicly-listed phone number, and would obviously use the same name he’s been using in "operations" in Canada for that listing. He would also want to leave a special note to the Pentagon operators, to ensure they do not refuse to give the listing out to people who call in on non-secure phone lines from outside the United States.
It is certainly conceivable that someone who has an extensive criminal history specializing in IDENTITY THEFT might be able to hoodwink the little old ladies who run the Pentagon’s telephone directory. Ruppert cites Toronto Superior Court records as evidence of this. Let’s see that they actually have to say …
I permitted the Respondents to file an affidavit which asserts belief in information received from named U.S. government sources that a person purporting to be Lieutenant D. Vreeland sent an e-mail to a telephone operator at the Pentagon several days before the Applicant gave the above evidence and telephonic demonstration. The e-mail stated that Lieutenant D. Vreeland temporarily would be occupying the Pentagon office in issue, which was assigned to someone else, and requested that this temporary change be included in the listing. The Applicant denied sending this e-mail and appeared to suggest that it was fabricated by U.S. government representatives.
Of course it was fabricated. Just like his Navy service record that says he was booted in 1986, and the court records and police reports from nearly half a dozen states chronicling his prolific criminal record. All forgeries! And he ought to know one when he sees one!
72. January 10, 2002 – Attorney General John Ashcroft recuses himself from the Enron investigation because Enron had been a major campaign donor in his 2000 Senate race. He fails to recuse himself from involvement in two sitting Federal grand juries investigating bribery and corruption charges against ExxonMobil and BP-Amoco who have massive oil interests in Central Asia. Both were major Ashcroft donors in 2000. [Source: CNN, Jan.10, 2002 – FTW original investigation, The Elephant in the Living Room, Part I, Apr 4, 2002.]
Oh boy, an FTW original investigation. Ruppert’s own reporting, of course, does not tell you that the investigation from which Ashcroft fails to recuse himself involve bribery of officials in Kazakhstan, and violations of the Iran trade embargo. That’s funny, wasn’t Iran one of the alternates to the Afghan pipeline, preferred by virtually every U.S. oil company (except Unocal) as the most viable route for Central Asian oil?
His characterization of those investigations as "against ExxonMobil and BP-Amoco" is also quite misleading. He takes issue with a New York Times report from December 17, 2000, which stated that investigators had concluded, after subpoenaing their records, that these two oil companies were not involved. Ruppert cites a Seymour Hersh report which claims the opposite, but fails to show why the U.S. Attorney General must recuse himself from a case based not on grand jury findings, but on Hersh’s reporting. And rightly or wrongly, the Justice Department cleared these firms of any wrongdoing on Bill Clinton and Janet Reno’s watch, well before Ashcroft took office.
73. January 23, 2002 – Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl is kidnapped in Pakistan. Pearl is reported dead on Feb. 21. Lead suspect Ahmad Umar Sheik, former colleague of Gen. Ahmad, arrested on Feb 12, is named as the lead suspect in the kidnapping and murder. Legal sources close to the Pakistani government tell FTW that Pearl was investigating the ISI. [Source: CNN.com]
After Ruppert/FTW’s gross inaccuracies in the Vreeland story, I’m not ready to buy any of their original reporting.
74. February 9, 2002 – Pakistani leader General Musharraf and Afghan leader Hamid Karzai announce their agreement to "cooperate in all spheres of activity" including the proposed Central Asian pipeline. Pakistan will give $10 million to Afghanistan to help pay Afghani government workers. [Source: The Irish Times, 2/9/02]
I guess the only way to disprove Ruppert’s conspiracy theory is to force the Afghan’s to live in abject poverty forever, refusing to do anything that might uplift the country’s standard of living. The idea that prudent economic development that could prevent Afghanistan from again becoming a terrorist’s retreat must be proof that terrorism was never the real issue is not only idiotic, it’s obscene.
Thus far, we’ve excised roughly 85 percent of the intellectual tumor that is Mike Ruppert. We’ve already dealt with his most damning allegations, which were at the same time his most egregious lies. The next installment should be the last, and will probably seem anti-climactic after this one. But if you're yet to be convinced that Mike Ruppert is the most laughable fraud who ever walked the earth, you won't want to miss it.
YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE MCKINNEY 9/11 CAMPAIGN DONATIONS SCANDAL Mark my words: you will never encounter irony as rich as this. Responding to this weekend's Atlanta Journal-Constitutionstory on Cynthia McKinney's receipt of campaign donations from groups linked to terrorist organizations on the day of the attacks (and subsequent lies to explain the suspicious transactions), Mike Ruppert had this to say:
In what is has become a down-to-the-wire race to determine the fate of Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, has resurrected innuendo-like charges implying that somehow McKinney is a supporter of terrorism. These implied connections are reminiscent of the vigorous effort by the FBI and ruling elites to portray Martin Luther King as a Communist protégé when, in fact, years later U.S. Congressional investigations disclosed that all of those supposed Communist connections had originated from within the FBI and had no basis in fact.
McKinney did receive campaign donations from people who have been connected to terrorist support groups. So have the Republicans in a much harder case. [See Guardian story below]. That is not the point. No politician has ever been asked, or expected to run a background check on every campaign donor. That’s nonsense. The Atlanta Journal Constitution has shown its stripes by glossing over the case of the Safa Trust, a significant donor to the Republican Party and supporter of the Bush Administration that was targeted earlier this year by the FBI and described as being a money laundering operation for terrorist groups that actually shared office space with Republican Party operatives.
Innuendo? Implied? You don't say! As for what they are "reminiscent" of, I can think of a much better analogy. Suddenly, Ruppert has discovered that there is such a thing as coincidence.
:: COINTELPRO Tool 12:48 AM [+] ::
:: Friday, August 02, 2002 ::
Have You Ever Noticed ...
... that the same people who claim that the government let the 9/11 attacks happen also argue that every action taken against terrorists since 9/11 has been a gross miscarriage of justice?
Or is it just me?
:: COINTELPRO Tool 10:24 PM [+] ::